Saturday, August 20, 2005

Spam... to a Blog?

I have just happened across an unwelcome development in the blogosphere as I appear to have received a piece of spam to my blog! It has been posted as a comment to my last posting from 1st August. Not only does this message have nothing to do with my posting...but it is long! Very long!

Is this the beginning of the end for the blogger dream?

It was bad enough when unwanted spam popped up in my e-mail account. I use to receive hundreds of e-mails a day promising me ridiculous financial opportunities and a larger and more impressive member. I once worked out that if I took up all the opportunities presented by these spammers then I would have a wallet slightly larger than Mars and a penis that would reach to the sun. Fortunately, I then discovered reality and the spam-blocker, and the war for control of my inbox has swung back in my favour.

I am going to leave this spam posting up for awhile...just until I figure out what to do about it. It is a little bit like having an advertisement break in the middle of my diary...it feels intrusive.

Should I turn off all comments? Should I stop posting to my blog? I must say that this feels like a bad development!

2 Comments:

Blogger digital_sextant said...

Alas, this seems to be a common problem across the blogosphere. I have spent a bit of time and energy fighting spam on my blog, to generally good effect. You can read my account here.

Good luck!

6:11 PM  
Blogger jumping jack said...

Dear Digital Sextant,

Thanks for the advice. Very useful URLs.

G

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home