Monday, August 21, 2006

Festival Calendar 2.0?

I have just spent a wet weekend near Kettlewell, in the Yorkshire Dales. However, despite the weather I had a good time. There were a number of fascinating festivals going on locally in Wharfedale which made it quite a jolly location despite the drizzle. I particularly enjoyed the Kettlewell Scarecrow Festival (you can click on the image accompanying this post and see the photographs I took of the festival in my photostream on flickr). I also enjoyed the Burnsall Feast (complete with Burnsall Classic Fell Race).

If I am being completely honest, I would have to admit that prior to arriving in the region last Thursday I had no idea that any of this was going on. Yes folks, I did not google ‘Wharfedale + Good Time” prior to my visit, relying instead on two trusty old analogue friends of old, serendipity and opportunism.

However, on returning to my desk in the south of England I looked up a number of links in preparation for this post. I stumbled upon a number of calendars of events such as fell races. Similarly, I lucked upon a number of ‘static’ maps of tourist attractions in the region. However, this temporal hotspot of festivals made me wonder whether there was not a web application out there that links together the various community e-calendars with a mapping service so that one can predict where is likely to be fun to visit at a particular point in the year. To date, I have not come across this application of my dreams…however, I would like to know if anyone stumbles across this application or the necessary access to databases to put such an app together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home